Getting started at the PROJECT AIR Academy
Walking into a new gym or taking up a new sport for the first time can be a daunting process - we know because we've experienced it too!
But there's no need to be nervous - we have beginners starting almost daily at the Project AIR Academy, and we've done our best to make the joining process as friendly and simple as possible.
This Reference Guide will address some of the common starting questions, but if at the end you're still unsure about how to start then feel free to get in touch.
I've never done any Parkour / Tricking / Free-Running before - is this for me?
Yes! But seriously... there's only one way to really find out whether you like doing any of the above - and that's by giving it a go. We have a great facility and some of the best instructors in the region available to help and support you through the trial process.
Which sessions or classes are for me?
We offer a quite a wide spread of options at Project AIR, and it can be a little confusing figuring out how to choose the most relevant. You can read a brief description about the different sessions over on the 'Classes' page on the website, but here's a couple of suggestions:
- If you're looking to develop running / jumping / climbing skills: check out our Parkour Fundamentals classes.
- If you're looking to learn some basic flips or tricks: our Introduction to Tricking classes will be perfect.
- If you'd like to do your own training or just have an explore of the facility: check out the Open Gym sessions for free practice.
And here's a few more tips for selecting classes:
- Try some! The best way to get a feel for each of the different class types is to give them a go - if you feel more inclined to go back for a certain type of training, then that's probably a good starting place.
- Ask a mate, or have a quick watch of the different movement sports on Youtube. Although it's not a first-hand training experience, it will help you build up an idea about what you're getting into.
- What times suit your schedule? We all have busy lives outside the gym, so it's important that you don't put off getting started because it's a hassle. Pick some sessions times that will work best for you and adjust later if needed.
- Your choices aren't set in stone, and once their settled in most of our members end up branching out to try out different class types.
I've decided which classes I want to check out - what do I need to do / what do I need to bring?
We offer a free trial sessions of the classes so that you can come down and get a taste for the environment before signing up. All you need to do is decide which sessions you'd like to check out, and then get in contact with the team to book in for an intro session.
Once you have confirmed a day / time to start, head on down to the gym 10min beforehand and the class coaches will give you a quick introduction to the gym, our culture and etiquette and will then get you started with the class. Take the time to read through the Gym Rules beforehand.
The class details page on the website will list any requirements (like gear, or experience level) that the session has, so you can be fully prepared. The essentials for all classes include a towel, sports shoes and drink-bottle. Just wear some comfortable workout clothes and make sure that all jewellery / piercings are taken out or covered with strapping tape.
I've been in for an intro session and now would like to join - what's next?
It's pretty simple - all you need to do is head on over to our Membership section, and select the relevant option. The membership details (including the weekly rates and conditions) are open & honest, and all available for you to check out when you get a moment. The membership plan links will redirect you to an online signup form with our billing provider DebitSuccess, where you can enter your contact and payment details electronically. That's all you need to do - we'll receive an email notification and take care of the rest. Welcome to Project AIR!